The Bourlon Wood Memorial is celebrating the Canadian Corps crossing the Canal du Nord on November 11th 1918.
It is located close to the village of Bourlon, about 10 km west from Cambrai.
The Canadian Battlefield Monument Commission, established after the Great War, selected Bourlon Wood in France to commemorate one of the significant battles the Canadian Expeditionary Force had engaged in. Each of the seven sites chosen were to have an identical granite block inscribed with a brief description of the battle in both English and French.
Bourlon wood is seen in the background of Flesquières Hill British Cemetery.
Situated in a park, on land donated by the Comte de Franqueville, the Mayor of Bourlon at the War's end, the Canadian Bourlon Wood Memorial site is located at the end of the 'Avenue du Monument' in the southwestern corner of the village of Bourlon. The park is a beautiful series of terraces lined with ancient lime trees that were nursed back to health after having been shattered by shellfire during the battle for Bourlon Wood. The grey granite block monument is set at the top of the hill in a glade of lawn upon a low circular flagstone terrace.