This monument is dedicated to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment. It is one of the five bronze caribous, erected in France, which commemorates the courage of those Allied soldiers during the Great war. Located at the north end of the town of Masnières, on the west side of the D644 road, it pays tribute to the participation of the Newfoundlanders in the taking and defense of the town during the First Battle of Cambrai between the 20th of November and December 2nd 1917.
The Caribou is surrounded by a small park, roughly in the shape of a parallelogram.The monument itself is standing atop a cairn of Newfoundland granite. The mound is among native Newfoundland plants.