On N43 to its junction with D932, approximately 22.5 kilometres from Cambrai centre, turn left and the cemetery lies on the right side, 400 metres along this road.
Wheelchair access to this cemetery is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Enquiries Section, on telephone number 01628 507200.
Le Cateau-Cambrésis and the country to the west of it was the scene of a battle fought by the British II Corps on 26 August 1914 against a greatly superior German force. The town remained in German hands from that date until the evening of 10 October 1918, when it was rushed by the 5th Connaught Rangers and finally cleared a week later.
During the war Le Cateau had been a German railhead and the site of an important hospital centre. The military cemetery was laid out by the Germans in February 1916 with separate plots for the Commonwealth and German dead. It contains the graves of 5,381 German soldiers, many of whom were buried during the occupation, the rest being brought in from other German cemeteries after the Armistice. A separate plot contains the graves of 34 Russian prisoners of war who died in captivity. The Commonwealth plot, designed by Charles Holden, is the site of 698 graves and commemorates the First World War.