Discovered, lying 3 meters underground, on November 5th, 1998 by an historian specialist of the WW1, this tank was one of 476 employed by the British for the first time in 1917. It can be seen in the owner’s barn at Flesquieres (11km from Cambrai off the E19/A2) on a granite cobble-base made from some of the village’s old streets.
Mr. Philippe Gorzynski, frustrated for many years by rumors of a buried tank, began his mission both to find and save the rusting hulk. One villager, Mme Bouleux, reported that, as a teenager, she had seen prisoners being ordered by Germans to push a tank into an enormous hole. After research visits to England’s National Archives, the tank Museum in Bovington and the Imperial War Museum in London, Mr. Gorzynski, with the assistance of archeological services, found the British tank buried south of the park of Flesquières Castle.
Its technological and historical value is such that it has been listed as industrial heritage.