The effectiveness of the Hindenburg Line depended on knowledge of the terrain under occupation. In Ribécourt-la-Tour, the medieval underground shelters were used by the Germans, who fitted them out with their equipment. On 20th November 1917 General Elles, at the head of a tank battalion, seized the village and continued to advance. Ribécourt was to remain in Allied hands until the Germans’ 1918 offensive. Its later rebuilding was particularly harmonious and functional in style.
The Battle of Cambrai 4 - Ribécourt - Télécharger