The small village of Louverval is on the north side of the N30, Bapaume to Cambrai road, 13 kilometres north-east of Bapaume, 16 kilometres south-west of Cambrai. Louverval Military Cemetery is situated on the north side of the N30, south of Louverval village and CWGC signposts on the N30 give advance warning of arrival at the Cemetery.
On a terrace within the cemetery will also be found the Cambrai Memorial.
Wheelchair access to this site is possible with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Enquiries Section, on 01628 507200.
The chateau at Louverval, was taken by the 56th Australian Infantry Battalion at dawn on 2 April 1917. The hamlet stayed in Allied hands until the 51st (Highland) Division was driven from it on 21 March 1918 during the great German advance, and it was retaken in the following September.
Parts of Rows B and C of the Military Cemetery were made between April and December 1917. In 1927, graves were brought in from the following cemeteries:-
LOUVERVAL CHATEAU CEMETERY, which was in a meadow near the Southern angle of the Chateau grounds. It was begun by German troops in March 1918, and used by British in September and October 1918. After the Armistice, a further nine British graves were brought in. It contained the graves of 78 soldiers, sailors and Marines from the United Kingdom, one Australian soldier and one New Zealand, and 23 German soldiers.
LOUVERVAL GERMAN CEMETERY was at the Eastern angle of the Chateau grounds; it contained the graves of 138 German soldiers and seven unidentified Highlanders.
The cemetery now contains 124 First World War burials.